Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Locusts and Honey

The Gospel of St. Matthew Ch. 3:1-4

In Those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judea, and saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.  For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.  And the same John had his raiment of camel's hair, and a leathern girdle about his loins; and his meat was locusts and wild honey.





This is the most recent I've done in a sort of religious, icon-esque style.  Religion and mythology in and of themselves are such rich sources from which to draw inspiration, add to that the countless interpretations and styles developed by artists over the centuries...and I find I am helpless to avoid trying my own hand.  My style is still somewhat cartoon-y and lacks the bold character of so many works by others (maybe watercolor is not ideal?  Perhaps I need to refine my watercolor techniques?).  Still, I think I have some basic elements that are unique to my vision, and I am excited to continue growing within this genre.  

This particular piece was framed at Nelson Amos Studio in Ypsilanti, MI (They absolutely CRUSHED it...the matting and framing [not pictured] look gorgeous) and was a house-warming gift for my sister and her husband, married this past weekend.  Congratulations again, to Cam and Selina Breiden.

No comments:

Post a Comment